Ask Your Question
0

PE 3.7 invalid byte sequence in US-ASCII

asked 2015-01-21 05:12:09 -0500

filnko gravatar image

updated 2015-01-25 05:03:10 -0500

I've got serious problems on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Puppet Enterprise 3.7 and module mayflower/php

Could not evaluate: invalid byte sequence in US-ASCII /Stage[main]/Php::Fpm::Service/Service[php5-fpm] /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/modules/php/manifests/fpm/service.pp on line 40

all locales are set to en_US.UTF-8 on agent and server.

The problem only exists when the agent is running on a node through the daemon. Not when run manually as root user. I've already seen the same problem on other combinations.

I'm using saz/locales to manage locales, they are the same on both servers - click for pastebin

added procenv (removed network part)

Could somebody point me into the right direction?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

What are the contents of the /etc/default/locale file on your master and agent? Additionally, what is the output of the locale command on both master and agent? Please update your question with links to pastebins of all of those requested items.

GregLarkin gravatar imageGregLarkin ( 2015-01-21 12:10:43 -0500 )edit

Ok, now can you check for the environment that the agent is operating under? I expect it to be the same, but you never know! I'm not an Ubuntu expert, but it looks like the procenv command is the way to check: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/raring/man1/procenv.1.html

GregLarkin gravatar imageGregLarkin ( 2015-01-21 21:34:00 -0500 )edit

2 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2015-01-22 14:24:09 -0500

cbarbour gravatar image

Check that none of the files puppet is trying to manage contain non US-ASCII characters, both in your manifests and on the system being managed. I've seen this issue a number of times when the wrong private key is used to decrypt EYAML; the resulting output contains binary data that's interpolated into templates. In my experience, Puppet will deploy this binary data just fine, and then fail on subsequent runs.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

I did a grep to look for any non US-ASCII characters and couldn't find any.

filnko gravatar imagefilnko ( 2015-01-25 05:06:49 -0500 )edit

In your code, or deployed to the managed servers?

cbarbour gravatar imagecbarbour ( 2015-01-26 16:54:12 -0500 )edit

in my manifests on the master and on the agent in /var/lib/puppet/client_data/catalog/

filnko gravatar imagefilnko ( 2015-01-26 18:09:57 -0500 )edit
0

answered 2015-04-30 08:50:34 -0500

The issue is the file /etc/init/php5-fpm.conf which contains some non-ascii characters for the upstart script author Ondřej Surý. Replacing this with pure ASCII characters fixes the issue.

Not sure who is to blame here. Puppet had a similar issue with templates before but this was apparently fixed with version 3.4.

See also this issue in cookbook-php-fpm.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2015-01-21 05:12:09 -0500

Seen: 1,029 times

Last updated: Jan 25 '15