Ask Your Question

How can I set the compile timeout on the puppetmaster?

asked 2013-06-11 23:42:56 -0600

Steve Shipway gravatar image

I have a system with a lot of rather complex node definitions. Manifest compilations, particularly (for some reason) the first one ever done for a given node, can take a long time - maybe a couple of minutes.

I have set configtimeout = 600 in the client puppet.conf.

The apache mod_proxy in front of the puppetmaster farm has a timeout=600 on the balancer definition and members.

The Apache server has Timeout=600 in the httpd.conf. There seems to be no timeout option for passenger or for the puppet master itself.

So, why is it that the client always receives ... (more)

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

2 Answers

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted

answered 2013-06-12 09:23:46 -0600

GregLarkin gravatar image

I'd like to know why the first compilation times out but subsequent ones don't and try to fix that problem first.

  • What version of puppetmaster are you running and on what OS?

  • Is DNS (forward and reverse) configured correctly on your network? If not, that can often cause timeouts, and not just with puppet.

  • Can you start the master with "puppetmasterd --no-daemonize --debug --trace --logdest console", configure a new node and post the debug output back here for review?

edit flag offensive delete link more


Running under RHEL6 64bit, with Puppet 2.7.20 We have a frontend server that handles certificates, reports and filebucket; domain catalog and node queries are passed to backend clusters ...(more)

Steve Shipway gravatar imageSteve Shipway ( 2013-06-12 17:02:10 -0600 )edit

We're using apache/passenger for all the puppetmasters. Because of our distributed setup, it makes it difficult for testing, but I'll see what I can achieve. Other investigation ...(more)

Steve Shipway gravatar imageSteve Shipway ( 2013-06-12 17:14:59 -0600 )edit

The posting below of the error indicates that it may be in the SecretServer module. On the first run for a node, this module will create a new record in ...(more)

Steve Shipway gravatar imageSteve Shipway ( 2013-06-12 17:41:11 -0600 )edit

answered 2013-06-12 17:39:42 -0600

Steve Shipway gravatar image

This is the relevant piece of the logs from when it fails.

My Ruby is not as good as my Perl, but it would seem to indicate to me that it is hanging in the SOAP call of the SecretServer module when trying to make the initial insert of the updated root password record into the database? Given this, I will attempt to increase the timeout in the SecretServer module.

err: /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:64:in `rbuf_fill'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:134:in `rbuf_fill'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb ...
edit flag offensive delete link more



Increasing the Savon timeout has fixed the issue. A recent 'upgrade' of SecretServer has slowed down the API resulting in this problem. Many thanks to Greg for showing me how ...(more)

Steve Shipway gravatar imageSteve Shipway ( 2013-06-12 18:19:34 -0600 )edit

Hi Steve, I just got back into this thread a few minutes ago, and I'm pleased that you found the solution!

GregLarkin gravatar imageGregLarkin ( 2013-06-13 11:24:00 -0600 )edit

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

Question Tools


Asked: 2013-06-11 23:42:56 -0600

Seen: 1,298 times

Last updated: Jun 12 '13