Fast route to understanding Puppet?
I've given myself the job of learning Puppet over the next couple of weeks, but to be honest I'm a little overwhelmed by the volume of docs available.
I'm hoping that if I describe my learning scenario a few kind folks can point me at the appropriate tutorial docs to help fast track this process.
My test scenario involves the deployment of four(Java) services - let's call them 'service A', 'service B' , 'service C' and 'service D'. For this example assume that I am creating VM's in AWS. I want to have three different models for how the services are deployed:
- Micro - where all services are deployed onto a single VM
- Mini - where two services are deployed onto two VM's (server 1 hosting services A and B; server 2 hosting C and D);
- Maxi - where
there are four VM's with a
separate service on each VM
(server1 hosting service A, server 2 hosting service B etc.)
Can somebody point me at some quick start docs that explain:
- How to create my different environments?
- How to logically map services to the environment servers
- How to spin up new environments on demand (e.g. push button instantiation of a new 'maxi' environment)