Ask Your Question
0

puppetdb Problem accessing /v3/nodes/

asked 2016-01-20 17:13:26 -0500

hesco gravatar image

On a fresh all-in-one installation of puppet-enterprise 3.8.3, I am encountering issues communicating with the puppetdb service.

# puppet agent --test
Warning: Unable to fetch my node definition, but the agent run will continue:
Warning: Error 400 on SERVER: Failed to find facts from PuppetDB at pe-puppet.localdomain:8081: Error executing http request
Info: Retrieving pluginfacts
Info: Retrieving plugin
Info: Loading facts
Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER: Failed to submit 'replace facts' command for pe-puppet.localdomain to PuppetDB at pe-puppet.localdomain:8081: Error executing http request
Warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
Error: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run

so I define that host name in my /etc/hosts file like so:

127.0.0.1       pe-puppet.localdomain

and bounce the master like so:

systemctl restart pe-puppetserver

and now I get errors which look like this:

Warning: Error 400 on SERVER: Failed to find facts from PuppetDB at pe-puppet.localdomain:8081: [404 ] <html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"/><title>Error 404 </title></head><body>

HTTP ERROR: 404

Problem accessing /v3/nodes/pe-puppet.localdomain/facts. Reason:

    Not Found


Powered by Jetty://</body></html>

With a 404, I'm guessing perhaps a permission issue on the path leading to the code which serves that API, or perhaps a failure to configure that node name on the puppetdb. At any rate, it is stopping me from moving forward and I would appreciate any guidance available to move me off of stuck.

Thanks, -- Hugh

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2016-01-21 10:23:55 -0500

hesco gravatar image

This file is a part of my bootstrap package.

$ git diff files/tmp/puppet-enterprise/installer_answers.txt.pe38  

-q_database_host=127.0.0.1
+q_database_host=pe-puppet.localdomain

seems to have resolved the puppetdb issue.

After I made that change, repackaged and published the new version of the bootstrap script (and deps), I ran a purge script (which uses the puppetlabs uninstall script under the hood) rebuilt the pe-3.8.3 installation on SLES12 applied our deployment code

then tested the changes with puppet agent --test run on the master.
it ran to completion without warnings or errors.

next to test it from a remote agent.

Seems that qdatabasehost wants an FQDN, rather than an IP.
Perhaps it wants this fqdn specifically (or at least the master without further guidance defaults to it).
I doubt it is required, as that would complicate horizontal scaling. But an IP certainly threw ugly errors.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2016-01-20 17:13:26 -0500

Seen: 553 times

Last updated: Jan 21 '16