Fresh install deployment fails via guided Install.
I'm trying to install puppet for the first time on a brand new VM running Ubuntu 1604 x64 server. I get right up to the point of starting deployment on the PE console web page but it fails and the log contains the following:
2016-10-06 18:30:24,938 - [Debug]: Processing report from lin1604puppet.localdomain with processor Puppet::Reports::Store * /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/bin/puppet enterprise configure --debug --detailed-exitcodes --modulepath /opt/puppetlabs/server/data/enterprise/modules * returned: 6 2016-10-06 18:30:25,026 Running command: /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/bin/puppet agent --enable 2016-10-06 18:30:25,019 [ERROR]: !! There were problems during the application of the installation catalog. !! 2016-10-06 18:30:25,022 [ERROR]: !! Please review the logs at /var/log/puppetlabs/installer/2016-10-06T18.29.25+0100.install.log and resolve any issues you can find. !! 2016-10-06 18:30:25,024 [ERROR]: !! After fixing any errors, re-run the installer to complete the installation or upgrade. !!
It appears that the deployment fails because it is doing something with accessing a CA server via port 8140 but the connection is refused.
I have no firewall up and as I say I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu 1604. The only change I have made it that it is pointing to our internal repo mirror which I have confirmed is working.
Here is exactly what I did...
- Download Puppet Enterprise Master for Ubuntu 16.04 x64 from https://puppet.com/download-puppet-en...
- Create a new VM-ware image of Ubuntu 1604 server x64
- set new hostname under /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts (This test server will not be on a domain)
- update sources.list to point to our internal mirror
- sudo reboot now
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade
- copy puppet enterprise image to home folder
- Unzip the tar ball. tar -zxvf ./puppet-enterprise-2016.2.1-ubuntu-16.04-amd64.tar.gz
- cd ./puppet-enterprise-2016.2.1-ubuntu-16.04-amd64/
- sudo ./puppet-enterprise-installer
- select  Guided Install
- When it says the server is up access via browser from my Windows host machine on port 3000
- Click "Let's get started"
- select Monolithic deployment
- Set FQDN to hostname (This test server is not on a domain)
- Set a Console Admin user password
- Leave all other options as already defaulted and click Submit
- On the next page click Continue
- Wait for verification to succeed. The only warning I get is that /opt only has 73GB instead of 100GB but this should be OK for testing.
- Click "Deploy Now"
- Deployment fails with the error above.
I've obviously done something stupid or missed something but can anyone help me find out what that is please?
The only other bits I found in the log was this:
[2016-10-06 17:30:24.715 UTC] INFO 2016-10-06 18:30:24,714 - [Notice]: /Stage[main]/Pe_install::Prepare::Certificates/Exec[retrieve cert for lin1604puppet.localdomain]/returns: Error: Could not call 'find' on 'certificate': Connection refused - connect(2) for "lin1604puppet" port 8140 [2016-10-06 17:30:24.715 UTC] INFO 2016-10-06 18:30:24,715 - [Notice]: /Stage[main]/Pe_install::Prepare::Certificates/Exec ...