Ask Your Question
0

Error: Could not retrieve local facts: no implicit conversion of nil into String

asked 2018-08-08 10:34:07 -0500

andrewmichael81 gravatar image

updated 2018-08-09 09:57:50 -0500

Hi.

Puppet Open Source here. The environment is:

Hosts: RHEL 6 - Facter 1.6.7, Puppet 3.4.2 and Hiera 1.3.4

Server side: Puppet 3.4.2


I am trying to set up RHEL 7 boxes and provision them using our existing Puppet server 3.4.2.

On the RHEL 7 boxes the minimum versions that are close to what we are currently running which will run on RHEL 7 boxes is the following: Facter: 1.7.6 Puppet: 3.5.1 Hiera: 1.3.4

As a test on RHEL 6 boxes I upgraded the puppet agent to version 3.5.1 to test if puppet runs will run successfully and everything would be OK.

Everything was fine.

Now that I have a RHEL 7 box up and provisioned I am getting the following error when I do a puppet run:

"Error: Could not retrieve local facts: no implicit conversion of nil into String"

Any one have any idea what the problem could be?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

Do you have any custom facts, or are they all just facts brought in with modules? I may be able to dig up some 'debuggin' techniques i've used to isolate which fact is failing - for myself, I wrapped every custom fact we wrote with a try/catch block

DarylW gravatar imageDarylW ( 2018-09-04 09:06:12 -0500 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by ยป oldest newest most voted
1

answered 2018-08-27 12:04:26 -0500

binford2k gravatar image

Puppet 3.x reached its end of life on December 31, 2016 and is no longer receiving security or bug fixes. You should no longer be using it.

One or more of the facts you're using doesn't run on RHEL7 and doesn't catch errors properly.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2018-08-08 10:34:07 -0500

Seen: 69 times

Last updated: Aug 27